Friday, January 6, 2017

Healthy Body! Healthy Me!



Hi! It's Carolyn from Kindergarten: Holding Hands and Sticking Together! I hope you all had a wonderful holiday and beautiful New Year.  We're all going to have a great year!

I love to start the New Year teaching the children all about staying healthy.

I wanted to share this Healthy Body! Healthy Me! packet Dr. Jean and I created. It is a COMPLETE primary healthy program perfect for K-2.  The packet includes 2 Prezis with LOTS of videos- songs, stories, and anchor charts; activities; writing prompts; anchor charts; and lesson plans.  You are all set for Health with this unit! These are all of the activities and lessons I use, and my students always love them and have so much fun.

The packet covers the skeletal, muscular, respiratory, circulatory, digestive, and excretory systems with fun, memorable activities to go along with each one.


I have made Vita-men with my kids for years.  I just love them- and when the vitamin benefits are turned into people the children really seem to remember them!
I love teaching the children all about blood, because it's always something they like to learn about. 
There is an activity for each part of the blood.  This is an example of the Platelet Activity.

After the systems are covered, the packet includes two Watch Me Grow activities that you can use throughout the year with your students.  And a Healthy Habits section which includes activities to teach children about staying clean, getting rid of germs, teeth care, bedtime habits, safe foods, safety of all kinds, being kind, and feelings. Here are some samples:

I always do this activity in September and then right before our Open House in spring so I can hang it up to show the parents.  I put a photo in the smaller rectangle, and the children draw themselves in the larger one.

This goes with the hand washing/germ activity.  The kids love this one!  There are lots of healthy habit activities!




Safe and Not Safe Foods

We cover all areas of "STREAM" which is "STEM with reading and art added in- as well as writing prompts!

This packet has two comprehensive Prezis with videos for each topic to teach and reinforce lessons. These are so much fun to use during those extra minutes you have each day- or as a lesson on its own!
This part of the Prezi is great for talking about emotions. I also use this when I'm teaching the children about adding details and feelings in their writing.
This part of the Prezi helps teach the children ALL about safety in different situations. 
We watch these videos a lot as reminders...
This is the second Prezi- full of our favorite shake breaks. 
The packet also includes Dr. Jean's songs Feeling Fine and Macarena Bones.  You'll hear your students singing these songs over and over.  They don't even realize all they're learning as they sing!

I hope you enjoy this packet and these ideas as much as we do and as much as we enjoyed putting it all together!
Have fun staying healthy!

No comments:

Post a Comment

We would love to hear from you! Please feel free to leave a comment below....

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...